Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Pseudo-Tuesday Trivia

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Pseudo-Tuesday Trivia

Postby Lalock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:09 am

A friend of mine hosts a weekly local pub trivia game, and he's sent out this message to his e-mail list. I've been able to answer 4 of the first 5 questions, but can't come up with all the answers, nor the common bond. Anyone?

1. This writer published his first and still perhaps most famous novel, a semi-autobiographical look at how the Christian Church filled the lives of blacks, the year he turned 27.

2. He was just the second man to win three consecutive Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

3. In October 1994, he started a long, tedious and relatively important process of interviewing 304 people, each of whom answered 75 pages of questions and received less than the minimum wage.

4. He averaged 17 home runs, 17 steals, 27 doubles, 75 runs scored and 118 hits in just 112 games per season during his eight seasons with the Cleveland Indians.

5. She helped lead the Notre Dame women’s basketball team to the NCAA Tournament championship game as a sophomore and again as a junior, but never won.

6. What is the common bond this week?

PS - This isn't for money, just for fun. So don't feel like you're helping me cheat. :)
Lalock

Re: Pseudo-Tuesday Trivia

Postby Lalock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:33 am

I found all the answers, if anyone's interested. They are:

1. This writer published his first and still perhaps most famous novel, a semi-autobiographical look at how the Christian Church filled the lives of blacks, the year he turned 27.

Spoiler: show
James Baldwin

2. He was just the second man to win three consecutive Primetime Emmy Awards for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series.

Carroll O'Connor

3. In October 1994, he started a long, tedious and relatively important process of interviewing 304 people, each of whom answered 75 pages of questions and received less than the minimum wage.

Judge Lance Ito

4. He averaged 17 home runs, 17 steals, 27 doubles, 75 runs scored and 118 hits in just 112 games per season during his eight seasons with the Cleveland Indians.

Grady Sizemore

5. She helped lead the Notre Dame women’s basketball team to the NCAA Tournament championship game as a sophomore and again as a junior, but never won.

Skylar Diggins

6. What is the common bond this week?

They all were born on August 2.
Lalock

Return to Main Forum