Ken Jennings

Message Boards

10th anniversary of airing of first game

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

10th anniversary of airing of first game

Postby skullturfq » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:52 am

skullturfq

Re: 10th anniversary of airing of first game

Postby grodney » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:20 am

I think it was in "Braniac" that Ken told the story of answering "Jones" to that Final Jeopardy, and Alex commenting to him after the show something like "Would it have killed you to write Marion?". In the video you can hear Alex's hesitation as he must have been consulting with the judges, and then his comment along the lines of "...among female athletes...not that common...".

So I'm asking you experts, has anybody ever missed an FJ because they weren't specific enough? Has anyone ever been asked to be more specific? (not possible in Ken's case, since the correct answer had already been identified)
grodney

Postby rockgolf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:54 am

Dick Clark had a game show called (I think) The Experts, which was a glorified trivia quiz. The only thing I can remember from the show was one episode where the night's winner was one question away from the grand prize. She was given a question about the last white person to rule Rhodesia and was baffled. The next four lines could not have been said closer together.
"I have no idea." "Guess." "Smith." "Correct."

So at least Ken had historical precedent.
rockgolf

Postby econgator » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:00 pm

rockgolf wrote:Dick Clark had a game show called (I think) The Experts, which was a glorified trivia quiz. The only thing I can remember from the show was one episode where the night's winner was one question away from the grand prize. She was given a question about the last white person to rule Rhodesia and was baffled. The next four lines could not have been said closer together.
"I have no idea." "Guess." "Smith." "Correct."

So at least Ken had historical precedent.

It was The Challengers. The Judge on that show was Gary Johnson, who was later a producer on Jeopardy!
econgator

Return to Main Forum