Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Jeopardy Tournament of Decades

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Jeopardy Tournament of Decades

Postby rkd » Mon May 12, 2014 11:01 am

Best of (retroactive) luck on the show tonight, Ken!! The tournament has been great fun to watch, and I hope you get through to the finals.
rkd

Re: Jeopardy Tournament of Decades

Postby Momma Snider » Mon May 12, 2014 11:28 am

I hope it turned out well, and can't wait to watch. I just wish Eddie had won his round so he could be in it, too.
Momma Snider

Postby rkd » Mon May 12, 2014 8:51 pm

That was a fantastic game!! Great job by all involved.
rkd

Postby Muskrat » Tue May 13, 2014 5:36 am

I heartily agree that a) it was a great game, and b) I was hoping for a Ken-Chuck final, a Ken-Chucky Derby, if you will.

OK, you won't. I understand.

But props to Chuck for maintaining his composure as Ken was building a large early lead. Between that Buzzerkrieg and some loopy categories it would have been easy to get rattled, but Chuck stayed in the game and even pulled ahead briefly in Double Jeopardy. Congratulations to all three contestants.
Muskrat

Postby BrennerM » Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 am

So many great players in this tournament! I wish they would have stretched the semi-finals out to more games somehow, where everyone gets to play twice or something. But very fun to watch nonetheless.

My wife normally strongly dislikes the super-dominant players like Roger/Colby/Arthur/etc. But she seems to love Ken (she never saw his original run). She was in awe when he rapidly ran the category about the Roman Numeral initials in the QFs.
BrennerM

Postby Momma Snider » Wed May 14, 2014 9:20 am

We were in awe, too. Just about the time I was figuring out who they were talking about, Ken had already translated into Roman numerals. I wonder if that would be a category to study if one was ever going to be on the show.
Momma Snider

Postby rkd » Fri May 16, 2014 2:34 am

That was a fun first game! Very evenly matched. Could be my imagination, but the questions seemed a bit easier than in the semifinals (though there were certainly some tougher gets, like syrinx and stenosis). I'm happy to see it come down to the second day, with only 10K between first and third after game 1. All 3 contestants had a chance to dash away to a good lead, and all 3 were unable to pull the key answer. Should be a fun second game.

As for FJ ... obviously I can't speak to why Ken and Brad missed that one, but I've certainly missed easier questions than that because of "filing" errors. I'd imagine one could think of Silence of the Lambs in a group with It Happened One Night and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for sweeping the top Oscars, but not be able to separate it out in a particular moment as "won Best Actor and Best Actress." You get on the wrong track, start sifting through films of the past decade, start thinking about who won what for Silver Linings Playbook, etc, and then the time is suddenly gone. "First-letter" trivia can be like that -- most people on this board probably know all their state capitals within barely a thought, but naming all the ones that start with 'P' is really tough if you don't have them filed in some form by letter.

[In fact, something like that happened to me on that silly fall-through-the-floor show on NBC a couple years ago. I had a question that asked for Kate Middleton's new mother-in-law, with a bunch of blanks to fill in. Easy enough in retrospect, but I'd never thought of Middleton and Camilla Parker Bowles in association with each other -- I had them filed in two completely separate boxes. And i got on the wrong track, circled through just about everyone else in the royal family, got distracted by a camera drifting across my screen, and time was up. It happens.]

[One more -- I missed a relatively easy NFL question on The Experts about the only 2 non-QBs drafted #1 from 2002-2011. I got Jake Long (the tougher one to get) right away but sidetracked myself by assuming the other was also on offense, so I didn't get the easy one, Mario Williams. I didn't have the #1 picks filed in a separate "folder" and made a false assumption, and I botched a not-that-hard question.] [And now I've thought of about 10 more examples, but it's more of the same. And none of those had the added pressure of a million dollars on the line.]

Anyway, best of luck in the second game of the finals, Ken! I hope it's as well played and as exciting as the first game was.
--Raj Dhuwalia
rkd

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

Yeah, I was happily about to write down Cuckoo's Nest, the realized it was well outside the date window. At that point, I should have remembered the animal theme (cuckoos/lambs) that I usually associate with this, but I guess it had been a long day and I just spaced. Started going through Best Picture winners, didn't get there in time.

I was as surprised as anybody to see that Brad had missed it too.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby braggtastic » Fri May 16, 2014 5:35 pm

So sorry Ken didn't win it all tonight. That was a hell of a hard FJ.
braggtastic

Postby jopahill » Fri May 16, 2014 6:44 pm

I wish Jeopardy! could split the $1 million grand prize for this tournament evenly between Jennings and Rutter. They played equally well in the finals, as far as I am concerned. On a different day, with a different final Jeopardy!, the results may very well have gone in Jennings' favor.

P.S. I am taking nothing away from Roger Craig here. His performance in this tournament confirmed beyond doubt that he is one of the game's greats.
jopahill

Postby rudolpha » Fri May 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Great job! Sorry you didn't win, but the final was very entertaining ... :D
rudolpha

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri May 16, 2014 11:14 pm

Agreed, Roger would have won that final if just one of those Daily Doubles had bounced his way. It really is an "any given Sunday" kind of game at that level of competition.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby grodney » Sat May 17, 2014 11:52 am

It felt like a buzzer timing on almost every question. I know that's important part of EVERY J! show, but it felt even moreso here. I suppose it's impossible to write questions that only 1 of these 3 would know -- or would even have to think about after Alex finishes reading.

So anyway, of the 6 daily doubles, did Ken get to attempt any of them? I can remember 4 (2 Brad, 2 Roger), but can't recall the other 2. Ken, did you know any/all of them that you didn't get to attempt?
grodney

Postby TheConfessor » Sat May 17, 2014 9:15 pm

Ken, I liked reading your responses to the press release questionnaire, but kept wondering who was asking the questions. He or she asked them in the first person, making personal observations using the words "I" and "me," so can you say whose perspective that was from?

Since I was there for the taping, there was not much suspense when I watched the broadcasts, but I really enjoyed all the social media buzz and news coverage, especially observations made by the 15 contestants. It really was a pleasure to watch Jeopardy! being played by the best of the best, especially when several of them are friends of mine. For those who have never met Ken and his family, I assure you that they are even brighter and nicer than you probably imagine.

I want to publicly thank you for letting me be your "plus one" at the wrap party. You helped me fulfill a 25 year quest to get a photo taken with Alex Trebek. Here's how that turned out:
TheConfessor

Postby Momma Snider » Mon May 19, 2014 8:41 am

Great picture!
We enjoyed the tournament a lot, too. Seeing the three best players in the history of the game was exciting. I wish Roger had won, since Ken didn't, because he's my third favorite player of all time (Eddie is in there after Ken) but it was all a lot of fun to watch.
Momma Snider

Postby skullturfq » Mon May 19, 2014 11:54 am

rkd wrote:As for FJ ... obviously I can't speak to why Ken and Brad missed that one, but I've certainly missed easier questions than that because of "filing" errors. I'd imagine one could think of Silence of the Lambs in a group with It Happened One Night and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for sweeping the top Oscars, but not be able to separate it out in a particular moment as "won Best Actor and Best Actress." You get on the wrong track, start sifting through films of the past decade, start thinking about who won what for Silver Linings Playbook, etc, and then the time is suddenly gone. "First-letter" trivia can be like that -- most people on this board probably know all their state capitals within barely a thought, but naming all the ones that start with 'P' is really tough if you don't have them filed in some form by letter.

I think that's a very good explanation of how good trivia players can sometimes miss "easy" questions. "Filing errors" is a good way to put it.

I also missed that FJ playing along at home, but the frustrating thing is, if you had asked me "Name a movie from the last 30 years that won the *five* major Oscars", I would have instantly come up with Silence of the Lambs. But somehow, the fact that the clue only mentioned Best Actor and Best Actress made me approach it differently. I also thought "Did both Cooper and Lawrence win for Silver Linings Playbook"? I couldn't think of a very recent answer, so then I went back to about 30 years ago, and wrote down "On Golden Pond". Unfortunately, although Henry Fonda and Katharine Hepburn did win Best Actor and Best Actress for that, it was slightly more than 30 years ago.

"Filing" errors have caused me to miss easier trivia questions too, especially in contexts where you have to answer quickly.

Once I had to quickly say how many U.S. senators there are, and I sheepishly admit that I blurted out "fifty". I think the reason is that the fact isn't filed in my brain as "there are a total of 100 senators"; rather, it's filed in my brain as "there are two senators per state, and there are fifty states". Which meant that I needed to *calculate* the number of senators; I wasn't able to say, in a Pavlovian way, "number of senators = 100".
skullturfq

Postby Momma Snider » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07 pm

That makes a lot of sense even to a less-smart person.
I realized that I should not say who my favorite players are when there are so many former players reading. I'm sure you are all my other favorites, except that I don't know your real names.
Momma Snider

Return to Main Forum