Ken Jennings

Message Boards

dmv

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

dmv

Postby doreen » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:01 am

i think the days of bringing books, food, newspapers etc to dmv anticipating a very long stay are over. my daughter lost her registration a couple months ago and thinking it would be a huge hassle i took the morning off from work. i was in out and of dmv in less than 10 minutes. buttttttt as jerry seinfield said "have you been to motor vehicle lately?" some things do not change
"how can you not find me interesting?"
doreen

Postby bblankin » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:00 pm

add Virginia to the list of states where the DMV is incredibly efficient. in fact, you can hit http://dmvnow.com and look up your closest office, and see (1) how long the wait is now, (2) advice as to when the wait is shortest, and (3) an incredibly detailed graph of mean wait times over the past year. those guys are so customer-focused, it's hard to believe they're not working for commission.
--
Ben B
bblankin

Postby LizLackey » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Sorry, Doreen, but up in North Jersey the dmv still sucks. However, one glorious time I had no line at the inspection station.
LizLackey

Postby WhitePhantom » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:02 pm

In New York, the key is to get the forms online and come with them already filled out. You get to skip ahead to a much shorter line that way.
We have Lenny and Jimmy and me and...Faye.
-Guy Patterson on bass players
WhitePhantom

Postby TiVangelist » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:07 pm

In Maryland, they have this nifty thing where they convert a big Trailways bus into a DMV office they call MVA-on-Wheels. (MVA is the Marlyand equivalent of DMV.) They make monthly stops outside various large office buildings. They can't perform all functions of the main DMV (administering behind-the-wheel driving tests is out, for example), but they can renew your license and whatnot. It took me 5 minutes, not including the elevator ride from my office.
TiVangelist

Postby Skillet9886 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Sorry, Ken, but anyone who is thrilled by the more efficient DMV system has clearly never spent a lot of time on the roads in South Florida. On my grandfather's 90th birthday he had to renew his license, so he called the DMV to ask what he had to do. They said to mail them fifteen dollars. I'm sorry, but ninety year-olds should have to take a driving test, or, at the very least, a vision test. I would gladly trade one day every few years at the DMV for getting some dangerous senior citizens off the road. Efficiency may be a bit overrated here.
Skillet9886

Postby Ken Jennings » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Oh, don't get me started on senior citizens and driving.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

nj

Postby doreen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:18 am

hi liz lackey-where do you live in jersey? the freehold dmv is in a beautiful strip mall and there is never a wait for anything.
but lets not give the government too many kudos yet- i have a friend who just turned 45 and has been trying for a month to get through to social security or medicare. oh and liz enjoy this warm weather
"how can you not find me interesting?"
doreen

Postby econgator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:36 am

Skillet9886 wrote:Sorry, Ken, but anyone who is thrilled by the more efficient DMV system has clearly never spent a lot of time on the roads in South Florida. On my grandfather's 90th birthday he had to renew his license, so he called the DMV to ask what he had to do. They said to mail them fifteen dollars. I'm sorry, but ninety year-olds should have to take a driving test, or, at the very least, a vision test. I would gladly trade one day every few years at the DMV for getting some dangerous senior citizens off the road. Efficiency may be a bit overrated here.

Personally, I think once you hit 65, you should be required to be tested (vision and road test) every single year.
econgator

Postby MiniBen1 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:22 am

Ken Jennings wrote:Oh, don't get me started on senior citizens and driving.

Me neither. I live in AZ and all the snow birds have been trickling in. Why do they need to be on the freeway during rush hour, IN THE FAST LANE??? Isn't there a Denny's or Village Inn on just about every corner? They don't need to drive into downtown Phoenix to get their Grand Slam!
MiniBen1

Postby braggtastic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:37 am

I think once you hit 65, you should be required to be tested (vision and road test) every single year.

And I think if you're a driver who has caused an accident that killed another person while you are still in your teens that you shouldn't get to drive again until you're 30. But neither of us make the laws.
braggtastic

Postby Isaac Cashman » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 am

IMO, If, like me, you are one of the ?% of the U.S. Population who _should not have a drivers license_, Yopu should NOT go to the DMV to get a state issued ID card.

When does your new license expire Ken? I would like a follow up.

Inspection time will be a function of the number of places you can get inspected and the nummber of people who are trying to get inspected when you are able to go.
Last edited by Isaac Cashman on Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac Cashman

Postby econgator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:29 am

Isaac Cashman wrote:When does your new license expire Ken? I would like a fool,w up.

I think I speak for all of us when I say: Ummmm .......... huh?
econgator

Postby WhitePhantom » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 am

sorry, double post
Last edited by WhitePhantom on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhitePhantom

Postby WhitePhantom » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:10 am

econgator wrote:Personally, I think once you hit 65, you should be required to be tested (vision and road test) every single year.

In New York, you have to get a vision test everytime you renew your license, regardless of age. I was shocked when I found out this wasn't the law in every state.
WhitePhantom

Postby indyhockeynut » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:29 am

The guy that runs ours here in Indiana just got fired. There was all kinds of fraud going on. They just put in a new computer system and it made the wait 10 times what it was. I use the kiosks that are like ATMs much faster.

BMV story. About 5 years ago the BMV called me and told me I had to come in right away and change plates. Seems that they had screwed up and the plate I had was not register to me. They even had the nerve to get made when I wouldn't be in for a week. What would have happened if I was pulled over? I hate to think about it.
"Practice random kindness & senseless acts of beauty."
Ann Herbert
indyhockeynut

Postby ninjapirate » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:49 pm

Oh, me either.
I also have never known a sixteen year old, my kids included, who had any business with a driver's license. Texas has recently instituted some much needed restrictions on new drivers.
Cell phones while driving? I was nearly killed yesterday by a driver who swerved into my lane on the highway while preoccupied with his Razr. I guess I could have used my cell phone to report him. :lol:
ninjapirate

Postby econgator » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:10 pm

ninjapirate wrote:

Oh, me either.
I also have never known a sixteen year old, my kids included, who had any business with a driver's license. Texas has recently instituted some much needed restrictions on new drivers.
Cell phones while driving? I was nearly killed yesterday by a driver who swerved into my lane on the highway while preoccupied with his Razr. I guess I could have used my cell phone to report him. :lol:

Heh. Don't get me started on cell phones and driving.
econgator

Postby rkd » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:13 am

I'd have to say that my recent DMV experiences in Florida and California have been relatively painless, at least in terms of hassle. The California DMV offices I visited in Glendale and Van Nuys seemed to have made pretty good use of technology to pick up the pace. I had to go twice because I'd forgotten some paperwork, and I wasn't stuck there for too long despite going in without an appointment either time.
rkd

Postby primalscreamtherapy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:06 am

You think the States suck? Try getting a license here in the Philippines!

You haven't seen boredom, stagnation and three-hour-waits in terrible conditions and tropical weather until you've gotten your foreign license renewed in the Philippines. Fun for all ages! Playing "Snake" on my cell phone kept me sane.
primalscreamtherapy

Postby cadams35 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:34 pm

econgator wrote:
Skillet9886 wrote:Sorry, Ken, but anyone who is thrilled by the more efficient DMV system has clearly never spent a lot of time on the roads in South Florida. On my grandfather's 90th birthday he had to renew his license, so he called the DMV to ask what he had to do. They said to mail them fifteen dollars. I'm sorry, but ninety year-olds should have to take a driving test, or, at the very least, a vision test. I would gladly trade one day every few years at the DMV for getting some dangerous senior citizens off the road. Efficiency may be a bit overrated here.

Personally, I think once you hit 65, you should be required to be tested (vision and road test) every single year.

I'm not really sure, but I think you have to every couple of years here in Illinois (after you turn 65).
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby econgator » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:04 pm

cadams35 wrote:
econgator wrote:

I'm not really sure, but I think you have to every couple of years here in Illinois (after you turn 65).

I am really sure (from the "Illinois Rules of the Road"):

Drivers under age 21 are issued licenses that expire three months after their
21st birthday. Drivers ages 21 through 80 are issued licenses that are good for
four years and expire on their birthday. Drivers ages 81 through 86 are issued
licenses good for two years. Drivers age 87 and over must renew their licenses
annually.

Test requirements vary. Everyone must have his/her vision screened. All persons
age 75 and over must take a driving test. Also, everyone must take a written
test every eight years except those having no traffic convictions. If you
have an accident on your driving record you may be required to take the written
and/or driving exams.
econgator

Postby cadams35 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks. I once read the Rules of the Road thing when I waited at the DMV to get an ID (for going on an airplane to DC).
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby melissa » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:55 pm

Hmmm... I had my wallet stolen over the holidays (and am idealistic enough to hope that the money went to buy children's presents!), but it's amazing what you forget what you had in your wallet & need to replace.

I had to fill out a form at AAA, and had a duplicate driver's license within a week.

What freaked me out was that I have a license to carry a concealed weapon. I had my sister's with me, as I had both laminated. So, I called the County Sheriff and told them my sad tale of woe. The deputy said that we would both need to come down to fill out whole new forms, just as if it was the first time. I asked, "Don't you want our names, since they were stolen and some criminal is out there with our licenses to carry?" He said no.

Boggles the mind! I thought they'd want to put that information in the computer, at the very least!!
melissa

Postby WhitePhantom » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:39 am

That's truly scary.
WhitePhantom

Return to Main Forum