Ken Jennings

Message Boards

National Academic Championships

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

National Academic Championships

Postby David Regal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:17 am

I've heard about this. The following link shows a quiz several schools took http://www.qunlimited.com/quiz2.html
Given that several teams got every question right, would I be correct in assuming that schools are given a good idea of what they need to study? Otherwise I can't see how some kids would know all the answers of such a hard quiz.
David Regal

Postby themanwho » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:58 pm

From the page containing this month's quiz:

Note: By the very nature of this monthly competition, we cannot and do not prohibit the use of reference materials.

They just looked up what they didn't know. But I imagine many teams could have gotten them all without help.

-M
themanwho

Postby ArtVark » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:08 pm

The other thing about this quiz is that the score was awarded to a school. It's unclear how many people in each school participated, but twenty people who each know only one answer could get a perfect score on this quiz.
Last edited by ArtVark on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArtVark

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:13 pm

ArtVark wrote:The other thing about this quiz is that the score was awarded to a school. It's unclear how many people in each school participated, but twenty people whe each know only one answer could get a perfect score on this quiz.

Only if they all knew different answers. :)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby ArtVark » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:
ArtVark wrote:The other thing about this quiz is that the score was awarded to a school. It's unclear how many people in each school participated, but twenty people whe each know only one answer could get a perfect score on this quiz.

Only if they all knew different answers. :)

I did say could.
ArtVark

Postby David Regal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:16 am

themanwho wrote:From the page containing this month's quiz:

Note: By the very nature of this monthly competition, we cannot and do not prohibit the use of reference materials.
-M

Oh, I missed that.
David Regal

Return to Main Forum