Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Chart question

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Chart question

Postby David Regal » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:14 pm

I was wondering, what happens on the music charts when there is a tie? Surely this must happen on occasion? I realize with singles airplay comes into it so perhaps ties are less likely, but with albums there must occasionally be times where two or more albums have the exact same number of sales. Since I've never heard a tie reported I'm assuming there's some method they use to determine who goes in front of the other?
David Regal

Postby cadams35 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:39 pm

I have no clue whatsoever, but I will list my guesses:

1) The CD with the most popular track gets the higher rank.

2) The CD that was ranked higher in the last ranking gets the higher rank.

3) The CD by the band that is more popular gets the higher rank.

The second two also work for singles.

BTW, when I say higher rank, it means the lower number. So #1 is the highest rank, even though it is the lowest number.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Postby Ken Jennings » Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:04 pm

cadams35 wrote:I have no clue whatsoever, but I will list my guesses:

Excellent! Whatever you do, never let total ignorance get between you and an unnecessary post.
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Queen Eve » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:49 am

I havent a clue either, but I just felt the need to add a completely senseless and unnecessary post. After all, Ken says we should never let ignorance stand between us and that useless post.
"Sanity is a gift; given to us at birth, lessened by maturity, and gone from us by the age of reason"-- Queen Eve
Owner of the official Mallet of Doom!
Queen Eve

Postby themanwho » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:57 am

This came up in Fred Bronson's "Chart Beat Chat" column at Billboard.com two weeks ago:

---

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE A TIE-BREAKER?

This week, Gwen Stefani and Hannah Montana had the same number of units sold (243,000). I looked in the FAQ for info about what tie-breakers are used to determine chart position, but found nothing. Could you enlighten us?

John Smith

Dear John,

The sales figures for Gwen Stefani and Hannah Montana weren't really tied. In news articles, you'll only see rounded figures when it comes to sales. The actual figures are specific numbers down to the last digit. In the case of an actual tie, where two albums sell the exact same number of albums with not even one unit difference, there are tie-breakers that come into play. If both albums gained in sales over the previous week, the album with the biggest gain comes out ahead. If one album gained and one album lost sales over the previous week, tie goes to the album that gained. If both albums declined in sales over the previous week, the album with the smallest decline would be listed first.

This probably leads you to wonder what would happen if two newly-released albums debuted with the exact same figure, so neither album would have a gain or loss over the previous week. That hasn't happened yet since we began using Nielsen SoundScan data to compile the charts.

---

-M
themanwho

Postby primalscreamtherapy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:39 am

Are online sales added into these totals? I'm also aware that many independent bookstores don't report their sales - I would like to know how accurate the reports are before I start worrying about a "tie".
primalscreamtherapy

Postby themanwho » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:14 am

primalscreamtherapy wrote:Are online sales added into these totals? I'm also aware that many independent bookstores don't report their sales - I would like to know how accurate the reports are before I start worrying about a "tie".

I doesn't look like online sales are included. From Billboard.com's FAQ:

Since 1991, Billboard has relied on the data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan, which tracks U.S. point-of-purchase sales, to inform its sales charts.

For real fun, try figuring out how they compile the bestselling book lists.

-M
themanwho

Postby David Regal » Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:41 am

themanwho wrote:This came up in Fred Bronson's "Chart Beat Chat" column at Billboard.com two weeks ago:

---

WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE A TIE-BREAKER?

The sales figures for Gwen Stefani and Hannah Montana weren't really tied. In news articles, you'll only see rounded figures when it comes to sales. The actual figures are specific numbers down to the last digit. In the case of an actual tie, where two albums sell the exact same number of albums with not even one unit difference, there are tie-breakers that come into play. If both albums gained in sales over the previous week, the album with the biggest gain comes out ahead. If one album gained and one album lost sales over the previous week, tie goes to the album that gained. If both albums declined in sales over the previous week, the album with the smallest decline would be listed first.
-M

I'm guessing, then, that an artist would not be notified that they had tied for number one in sales if by tie-breaker they were number 2. I imagine an artist might have a release that officially only ever got to number 2 without knowing that, in a particular ONE WEEK PERIOD it in fact was equal number one. If so, that sux!
David Regal

Postby cadams35 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:08 pm

Ken Jennings wrote:
cadams35 wrote:I have no clue whatsoever, but I will list my guesses:

Excellent! Whatever you do, never let total ignorance get between you and an unnecessary post.

OK, maybe I didn't state that right. What I meant was that I did not know what it was, but I was listing my "educated guesses". Maybe I should have put this:

I have no clue whatsoever as to the exact method used, but I will list my guesses that seem most reasonable.

2) The CD that was ranked higher in the last ranking gets the higher rank.

To make it right, this one should say:

The CD that was ranked lowerin the last ranking gets the higher rank.
This is not a signature.
cadams35

Return to Main Forum