Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Who else received "Brainiac" for Christmas?

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Who else received "Brainiac" for Christmas?

Postby ninjapirate » Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:50 am

My husband bought it for me, bless his lil' heart.
ninjapirate
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: Crane, TX

Re: Who else received "Brainiac" for Christmas?

Postby heatherpotter » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:42 am

ninjapirate wrote:My husband bought it for me, bless his lil' heart.


I actually got it for my birthday in September from my husband. Husbands are good aren't they?
I think I know, but I never really do.
heatherpotter
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:46 am
Location: Rhode Island

Postby cadams35 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:00 pm

I didn't get Brainiac, but I got a package from my mom that she had mischievously labeled: From Ken Jennings. It turned out to be Prisoner of Trebekistan, which I thought was a good book, just like Brainiac. Can't tell which is better.

BTW, it turned out that she labeled it From Ken because it was about Jeopardy!, Ken was on J!, and I'm on this website all the time.

She even said I was addicted to it. I said that this addiction is healthier than an addiction to crack.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby gringuita_1 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:01 pm

That's funny! I got Trebekistan from my mother as well (she knew I already had Brainiac), only my gift was labelled as being from "B. Rutter."
gringuita_1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: So Cal

Postby econgator » Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:10 pm

I got Trebekistan, too. I bought Brainiac shortly after it came out. :)
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby jaclyn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:10 pm

I got Brainiac (signed!) for my birthday, but I haven't had a chance to read it until this week. (I'm a full-time grad student in addition to my full-time job, so everything goes according to the academic calendar!) If my sister doesn't come through with Trebekistan tomorrow, me and the Visa gift card are heading to the bookstore.
jaclyn
 
Posts: 187
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL

Postby justKim » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:39 pm

I already had Brainiac and Trebekistan -- so I got the Jeopardy! calendar. My family doesn't understand me, but they know how to shop for me.

Plus, I got the new McCaffrey Pern book.
justKim
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby cadams35 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:39 pm

econgator wrote:I got Trebekistan, too. I bought Brainiac shortly after it came out. :)


So did I.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby cadams35 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:40 pm

gringuita_1 wrote:That's funny! I got Trebekistan from my mother as well (she knew I already had Brainiac), only my gift was labelled as being from "B. Rutter."


Wow. What a coincedence.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby rmfromfla » Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:11 am

I wrapped up the "Triple Play" (Braniac, Trebekistan & the 2007 calendar) just before my birthday in early July, and
thankfully that remaining .66c on my Amazon gift certificate came in very handy! :P
rmfromfla
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:31 pm
Location: NW Florida

Postby melissa » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:16 pm

I guess I'm the Philistine who received Brainiac for Christmas - along with a renewed subscription to Barnes & Noble. They were out of it each time I tried to buy it previously.

Hmmm... wonder how many copies are at Half Price Books?
melissa
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm

Postby JD » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:14 pm

I got Brainiac, but my copy of Prisoner of Trebekistan was supposed to change planes in Denver on Dec. 21, and Mother Nature wouldn't let that happen. So that will come eventually.

Meanwhile, I have read Brainiac, and Ken is the only person I know who casually drops more references than I do (obscure or otherwise). :)

I participated in the same tournament that witnessed the legend of Subash (p. 39) - but I was in D-II, and he was in D-I. (This may be as close as I ever get to a personal connection with a nonfiction book - plus going to tournaments at Carleton.)

Ken, though I wasn't on Iowa State's quiz bowl team when you got lost on campus (p. 33), I would like to offer my apologies. If you ever want a real tour of the campus, I would be happy to give one.
JD
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:20 pm

Postby cadams35 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:33 am

rmfromfla wrote:I wrapped up the "Triple Play" (Braniac, Trebekistan & the 2007 calendar) just before my birthday in early July, and
thankfully that remaining .66c on my Amazon gift certificate came in very handy! :P


What is the 2007 calendar like and where can I get it?
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby rmfromfla » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:09 am

2007 calendar: Pretty much like the previous 13 versions (daily Jeopardy clue & "dollar amount") - designed to be
torn off page by page, but would rather keep it in one piece.

Can be found at Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, B. Dalton's - after the holidays is the best time to get them as they,
like all the other calendars, will probably be reduced to half-price (which would be about $6). Look for the blue box
that somewhat resembles the design of the J! set. 8)
rmfromfla
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:31 pm
Location: NW Florida

Postby cadams35 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:57 pm

rmfromfla wrote:2007 calendar: Pretty much like the previous 13 versions (daily Jeopardy clue & "dollar amount") - designed to be
torn off page by page, but would rather keep it in one piece.

Can be found at Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, B. Dalton's - after the holidays is the best time to get them as they,
like all the other calendars, will probably be reduced to half-price (which would be about $6). Look for the blue box
that somewhat resembles the design of the J! set. 8)


OK, so it's just J! themed. I thought maybe it was Ken or Bob themed or something.

Too bad I didn't know about this this morning. I went to B&N today.

I did complete some kind of a triple play today, though. I now own Brainiac, PoT, and The Know-It-All: One Mans Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Man in the World, by A.J. Jacobs.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby econgator » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:14 pm

rmfromfla wrote: Can be found at Waldenbooks, Barnes & Noble, B. Dalton's - after the holidays is the best time to get them as they,
like all the other calendars, will probably be reduced to half-price (which would be about $6).


You know, I have never, ever understood why anyone would buy a calendar before Jan 1. Heck, even now they're already 50% off and you still haven't lost any days on it!
econgator
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:11 pm

Postby MiniBen1 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:57 am

I got it and already finished it. Great book. Kept me away from in-laws for 2 days. That's almost a better gift than the book!
MiniBen1
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: World Wide Web

Postby cadams35 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:43 am

MiniBen1 wrote:I got it and already finished it. Great book. Kept me away from in-laws for 2 days. That's almost a better gift than the book!


You're right. This reminds me of a joke I once heard:

What's the difference between an in-law and an outlaw? (answer below in white)

One's wanted and the other isn't.
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby cadams35 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:46 am

Just now finished The Know-It-All. Can't really tell which book is the best: Brainiac, Prisoner of Trebekistan, or The Know-It-All. All three are funny, all three have likable, intelligent authors, all three are something I would recommend to someone looking for a good read. Or, as Bob Harris puts it:

"I'll take Riveting Reads for $23.95, Alex."
This is not a signature.
cadams35
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:31 pm
Location: Tuscola, IL

Postby melissa » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:40 am

cadams35 wrote:
MiniBen1 wrote:I got it and already finished it. Great book. Kept me away from in-laws for 2 days. That's almost a better gift than the book!


You're right. This reminds me of a joke I once heard:

What's the difference between an in-law and an outlaw? (answer below in white)

One's wanted and the other isn't.


LOL - I refer to my former in-laws as my out-laws!
melissa
 
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:32 pm


Return to Main Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests