Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Good Luck Ken

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Good Luck Ken

Postby rkd » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:33 am

I'll second that -- good retroactive luck, Ken!
rkd

Postby grodney » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:14 am

Question for Ken (or Ed or any of you others that have played): Does the location of the DD make a difference on how much you wager (thinking the lower-value questions are usually easier)?

Hypothetically, if you uncovered a DD in the $800 (instead of the $2000), might you wager 8,800 of your 11,200; instead of say 3,800? All else being the same?
grodney

Postby gameshowcongress » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:07 pm

I have heard that in general people don't wager enough on DD, here is the comparison by gender:

And by computer: http://ibmresearchnews.blogspot.com/201 ... egies.html
gameshowcongress

Postby TheConfessor » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:30 am

grodney wrote:Question for Ken (or Ed or any of you others that have played): Does the location of the DD make a difference on how much you wager (thinking the lower-value questions are usually easier)?

Hypothetically, if you uncovered a DD in the $800 (instead of the $2000), might you wager 8,800 of your 11,200; instead of say 3,800? All else being the same?

I just saw this, so I'll give a quick answer from my perspective. I appeared on Jeopardy almost 25 years ago, and I know that I would be a much better contestant today, now that I know a lot more about the game. I played a pretty strong game in 1989, considering that I was naive about buzzers and strategy and such. But even then, I had thick binders of rudimentary transcripts that I analyzed to determine my accuracy rates for questions in each row of the board, and there was a clear pattern of clues getting harder as you move down the board. So I'll just make up some hypothetical numbers and say that from top row to bottom row, my get rate was 95%, 85%, 75%, 65% and 55%. Clearly, if I hit a DD where I thought my chances were 85%, I'd bet more than if I thought my chances were 65% or 55%, assuming all other variables were the same.

Here is my first game in the J! Archive:
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3776
This is a very small sample size, but I hit all three DDs. On the one in row 2, I bet it all. On the ones in row 4 and 5, I bet a smaller part of my total. But as I said, I didn't fully understand the game back then, and a lot depends on the relative scores and the stage of the game. This was pre-internet, so no one castigated me for playing Arthur Chu style, selecting some of the clues out of order.
TheConfessor

Postby Momma Snider » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am

I went to look at your game, TheConfessor, and saw that you beat against Stacie Macias, whose kids attended my school back in those days! I had known she was on the show, but hadn't seen it. It's funny to remember that the runners-up got prizes instead of cash. I remember when consolation prizes on game shows were Rice-A-Roni and other food.
Momma Snider

Postby TheConfessor » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:44 am

Momma Snider wrote:I went to look at your game, TheConfessor, and saw that you beat against Stacie Macias, whose kids attended my school back in those days! I had known she was on the show, but hadn't seen it. It's funny to remember that the runners-up got prizes instead of cash. I remember when consolation prizes on game shows were Rice-A-Roni and other food.

Hey Momma Snider, it's very cool that you knew Stacie Macias. None of the new J! contestants wanted to play against her after we watched her win her third game, but then I got the call to play the next game. I don't recall having any significant conversation with her before or after our match. Did she ever talk about how much she disliked the guy who prevented her from being a 5-day winner? I wouldn't blame her, and I still kind of dislike the guy who beat me. Nothing personal, but he crushed my dreams.

Do you keep in touch with Stacie, or know what happened to her? I bring it up because I realized that today is the 25th anniversary of our Jeopardy showdown (not in Culver City, but at the KTLA studio at Sunset and Bronson). We taped on June 26, 1989. If you ever talk to her, please tell her I said hello and I hope she's well.
TheConfessor

Return to Main Forum