Ken Jennings

Message Boards

Most recorded artist in history

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

Re: Most recorded artist in history

Postby rockgolf » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:08 am

It's a pretty vague question. If you assume he is referring to recording act with the most album releases, one possibility is Nana Mouskouri, a Greek MOR (middle-of-the-road) singer who had a tendency to release her albums in multiple different languages. Everything from English to Korean.

Her "partial discography" on Wikipedia takes two column and four pages.
rockgolf

Postby braggtastic » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:16 am

What about Larry King? He's done thousands upon thousands of hours of broadcasting - someone was recording it all. Did the Q stipulate it had to be a musical artist?
braggtastic

Postby Muskrat » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:16 am

The Q may be referring to a songwriter -- someone whose various works have been covered by dozens of artists. Elvis, or one of the Motown people, or the little old ladies who owned the copyright to "Happy Birthday."
Muskrat

Postby rockgolf » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:47 am

If it's a songwriter, your best bets are Paul McCartney (although as an artist, he may be too obvious) or Irving Berlin.
rockgolf

Postby Dobie » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:04 pm

It could be someone from the non-English speaking part of the world.
Dobie

Postby Momma Snider » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:47 am

Popular figure, right under our noses, sounds like it's not a foreigner. I'm wondering if the "under our noses" part is a play on words somehow, like "Joe Upper Lip" or "Mr. Mustache" or something. I'm trying to think of a songwriter with that kind of name. Or was that not the actual wording of the question?
Momma Snider

Postby jbenz » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:01 am

"who is the most recorded artist in history?"

I've been told that Dave Matthews encourages fans to record his concerts for personal use. I'm not sure how many people do this, but he tours a ton and sells tons of tickets. Maybe other artists encourage this too?
jbenz

Postby Momma Snider » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:02 am

That sounds logical. I hope we'll hear the correct answer whenever it's revealed.
Momma Snider

Postby marpocky » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:36 pm

jbenz wrote:"who is the most recorded artist in history?"

I've been told that Dave Matthews encourages fans to record his concerts for personal use. I'm not sure how many people do this, but he tours a ton and sells tons of tickets. Maybe other artists encourage this too?

If you're going that route, surely Phish or (some members of) the Grateful Dead surpass even DMB's 23 years of touring.
marpocky

Postby Momma Snider » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:35 am

Wayne Newton? He's been around a long, long time, and has appeared in Atlantic City, I'm sure, although Vegas is his place.
Momma Snider

Postby rockgolf » Fri May 23, 2014 7:59 am

Is this contest still going on? The radio station must be wanting to drive listeners away.

I can guarantee at this point that no mater what the answer is eventually revealed to be, it is sure to be a letdown and/or a cheat.
rockgolf

Postby Momma Snider » Fri May 23, 2014 8:25 am

I'm still thinking it has to be some kind of play on words, having to do with "right under our noses." I hope someone will get the answer soon, because it's driving me crazy!
Momma Snider

Postby WhoisMark » Sat May 24, 2014 8:33 am

Perhaps "under our noses" simply means mustache and nothing more complicated than that, so someone like Tony Orlando? Who else has a good 'stache? David Crosby?
WhoisMark

Postby Bill » Sat May 24, 2014 9:10 am

rockgolf wrote:I can guarantee at this point that no mater what the answer is eventually revealed to be, it is sure to be a letdown and/or a cheat.

I'm also skeptical of this. "The most recorded artist in history" according to whom? What methodology was used to make this determination? Are we to accept the premise that this radio host has information not available to the general public, the Guinness Book of World Records, and the Ken Jennings Message Board?

I'm sure there's an answer, and it's probably pretty cool. But I wonder how well it would stand up to the suggestions listed in this thread alone. Might it be something silly, like the Time lady or the voice of Siri? Or is it someone who makes a living recording audiobooks, or something like that? Maybe, in an ironic twist, it's a talk radio host.

I also suspect the answer will be a letdown, but I look forward to the ensuing discussion.
Bill

Postby PhygLeGuy » Sun May 25, 2014 5:00 pm

As originally written, “artist” would seem to suggest someone other than a singer. Since this question appeared, I have had occasion to read about folks like Arthur Fiedler and Hal Blaine, each having a legitimate claim to correct-answerhood. Arthur’s even got a mustache.

I’m sure if Nate ordered either of these people not to sing, they would go right ahead and sing anyway.
PhygLeGuy

Postby Bill » Mon May 26, 2014 7:58 am

PhygLeGuy wrote:As originally written, “artist” would seem to suggest someone other than a singer. Since this question appeared, I have had occasion to read about folks like Arthur Fiedler and Hal Blaine, each having a legitimate claim to correct-answerhood. Arthur’s even got a mustache.

I’m sure if Nate ordered either of these people not to sing, they would go right ahead and sing anyway.

Ah, so maybe the question hinges on what kind of artist we're talking about, and what it means to be "recorded."

Someone like Shakespeare could arguably be the "most recorded artist in history" without ever stepping into a studio.
Bill

Postby BrennerM » Thu May 29, 2014 5:56 am

A simple Google search points to Asha Bhonsle as the most recorded person. She has even done shows in Atlantic City. Are we missing something here or did nobody think to look it up on Google? :?:
BrennerM

Postby Momma Snider » Thu May 29, 2014 9:27 am

I think the big indicator that it's not that person is that it's supposed to be someone well-known. Most of us have only seen that name when Googling for this answer.
Momma Snider

Postby Lalock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:30 am

I assume someone has answered Ray Walker of the Jordanaires?

He's still alive, they've played Atlantic City, and if you Google "most recorded singer in history -Bhosle -female" it's the answer that comes up first.

From the Wikipedia page: "Up to 2006, it is estimated that Walker has been recorded on more than 200,000 songs (including repeats for different services and classes), outside of his professional recording with the Jordanaires, and it is possible that he is the most recorded voice in the history of music over his 66 years of performing and teaching."
Lalock

Postby Momma Snider » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:41 am

Maybe that's it. I can't say Ray Walker would strike me as famous or "right under our noses," but just because he's not famous to me doesn't mean anything. I have heard of the Jordanaires, of course, just not him in particular.
Momma Snider

Postby Joshua Kreitzer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:57 am

Dante3999 wrote:Ok the question was finally answered, the Mills Brothers, no clue who they are

I thought that one of the criteria was that it was an artist who was still alive. All of the Mills Brothers are deceased.
Joshua Kreitzer

Postby Momma Snider » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:07 am

Well, that's a letdown! I've heard of the Mills Brothers, since I'm old, but they're even before my time, and I wouldn't have thought they were that big. Thanks for letting us know!
Momma Snider

Postby BrennerM » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:29 am

Joshua Kreitzer wrote:
Dante3999 wrote:Ok the question was finally answered, the Mills Brothers, no clue who they are

I thought that one of the criteria was that it was an artist who was still alive. All of the Mills Brothers are deceased.

Apparently some of their kids are still going under the "Mills Brothers" name even though the original members are all gone. I don't see any hard evidence that they are really the "most recorded" although given their longevity it could theoretically be true. I feel like it is pretty hard to "prove" either way.

It seems like a trivia question with a lot of interpretation. Kind of like "which make/model of car has driven the most total miles on US Interstate highways?".
BrennerM

Postby Ken Jennings » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:10 am

Glad to finally have this answered! (Even if the answer was bogus.)
Ken Jennings
Site Admin

Postby Momma Snider » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:34 pm

Also with the bogus: "The answer is right under our noses?" What does that mean in relation to the Mills Brothers?
Momma Snider

Next

Return to Main Forum