Ken Jennings

Message Boards

2013: The Year in Trivia

The place to talk. "On topic"? "Off topic"? We make no such petty distinctions here.

2013: The Year in Trivia

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Consider this is an open thread. I have only 6 questions, and all are about pop culture. Answer them, and feel free to add your own questions about the year 2013.

1. This was so cool, like, 9 months ago. Here's a Question 7 type question. What do the following famous individuals have in common?

Jensen Ackles, Supernatural
Chris "The Birdman" Andersen, Miami Heat
Elisha Cuthbert, Happy Endings
Willie Geist, The Today Show
Jeff Gordon, Hendrick Motorsports
The Oregon Duck mascot, University of Oregon
Maggie Simpson, The Simpsons

2. 2013 is the new 1974. The current Oscar race (for the March 2014 ceremony) could feature a pair of Best Actor nominees, each of whom are garnering acclaim for separate projects, but who also worked together on a 1974 film. Incidentally, one of their costars from that 1974 film died in 2013, and the film itself was remade in 2013. Can you name the two actors, their recently deceased costar, and the film?

3. Hashtag killer. Speaking of celebrities who died in 2013, for whose death are snarky Twitter users assigning blame to Carrie Underwood?

4. History repeating. What musical act joined this list in 2013?

Shirley Bassey (1964, 1971, and 1979)
Kenny Loggins (1980 and 1988)
Survivor (1982 and 1985)
Will Smith (1997 and 2002)
??? (2010 and 2013)

5. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'? According to the Internet Movie Database, what alien character from a summer 2013 movie delivers a broadcast to Earth in several languages, including (surprisingly) Klingon?

6. The United States, featuring America. From Wikipedia: "The Billboard Hot 100 is a chart that ranks the best-performing singles of the United States. Its data, published by Billboard magazine and compiled by Nielsen SoundScan, is based collectively on each single's weekly physical and digital sales, as well as airplay."

In the year 2013, the #1 spot of the Billboard Hot 100 was almost exclusively an American domain. Barbados-born Rihanna (featured on an Eminem single) will chart at #1 next week, for the December 21 issue. So, until then, who is the only foreign-born artist to top these charts this year?

Hint:
Spoiler: show
Despite his famous Canadian father, Robin Thicke is American.
Neel Mehta

Re: 2013: The Year in Trivia

Postby braggtastic » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:49 pm

I'll start:
Robert Redford, Bruce Dern, Karen Black (RIP) Great Gatsby

Eleanor Parker
braggtastic

Postby dnbguy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm

Pharell Williams? He had the theme songs for Despicable Me 1 and 2.
dnbguy

Postby Neel Mehta » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:08 am

Both braggtastic and dnbguy are correct. 3 down, 3 to go.

Well, make that 5 to go. Here are 2 more questions.

Neel Mehta wrote:Survivor (1982 and 1985)

7. Literalists. Speaking of, the Sirius XM radio station Kids Place Live made an odd semi-habit of playing that 1982 Survivor song whenever a kid caller would request a particular 2013 song but misidentify its title. What song did these kids want to hear?

8. He was born River Bottom (seriously). In his 2013 book Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind, author Gavin Edwards states that the father of the late actor gave his family a new surname in 1979. Edwards theorizes that it was inspired not by the mythological bird but by the then-current Dark Phoenix plotline in the Uncanny X-Men comic book series. He goes on to point out a bit of trivia, if that were indeed the origin:

If it did, then River and Joaquin Phoenix would end up as two of the three Oscar-nominated actors whose last names were drawn from Marvel Comics characters.

Who is the third?
Neel Mehta

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:57 am

These are some really great questions!

Neel Mehta wrote:
Neel Mehta wrote:Survivor (1982 and 1985)

7. Literalists. Speaking of, the Sirius XM radio station Kids Place Live made an odd semi-habit of playing that 1982 Survivor song whenever a kid caller would request a particular 2013 song but misidentify its title. What song did these kids want to hear?

I'll take this one.

It's "Roar" by Katy Perry.

For reasons which would earn the song a spot in this thread.
Bill

Postby Joshua Kreitzer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 am

Neel Mehta wrote:8. He was born River Bottom (seriously). In his 2013 book Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind, author Gavin Edwards states that the father of the late actor gave his family a new surname in 1979. Edwards theorizes that it was inspired not by the mythological bird but by the then-current Dark Phoenix plotline in the Uncanny X-Men comic book series. He goes on to point out a bit of trivia, if that were indeed the origin:

If it did, then River and Joaquin Phoenix would end up as two of the three Oscar-nominated actors whose last names were drawn from Marvel Comics characters.

Who is the third?

Nicolas Cage, born Nicolas Coppola, who renamed himself after Luke Cage, I think.
Joshua Kreitzer

Postby dnbguy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:59 pm

1:

Con los terroristas! They are patient zero in their respective Harlem Shake videos, infecting everyone else with their dancing.

6:

Like Lorde, Americans will never be royals.
dnbguy

Postby Neel Mehta » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:44 pm

You are all correct. Outstanding work. Every question has been answered, except this one:

Neel Mehta wrote:5. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'? According to the Internet Movie Database, what alien character from a summer 2013 movie delivers a broadcast to Earth in several languages, including (surprisingly) Klingon?
Neel Mehta

Postby Neel Mehta » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:41 pm

It's officially 2014, where 2013 trivia goes to die. Here are the answers:

1. This was so cool, like, 9 months ago. Here's a Question 7 type question. What do the following famous individuals have in common?

Jensen Ackles, Supernatural
Chris "The Birdman" Andersen, Miami Heat
Elisha Cuthbert, Happy Endings
Willie Geist, The Today Show
Jeff Gordon, Hendrick Motorsports
The Oregon Duck mascot, University of Oregon
Maggie Simpson, The Simpsons

ANSWER:
Each man, woman, child, bird, or birdman listed above was the lone dancer at the beginning of his/her/its Harlem Shake video. Click each link to see the video, while you still can. They say that the Internet is forever, but there's not a lot of permanence on YouTube.

2. 2013 is the new 1974. The current Oscar race (for the March 2014 ceremony) could feature a pair of Best Actor nominees, each of whom are garnering acclaim for separate projects, but who also worked together on a 1974 film. Incidentally, one of their costars from that 1974 film died in 2013, and the film itself was remade in 2013. Can you name the two actors, their recently deceased costar, and the film?

ANSWER:
So far, Robert Redford (All is Lost) has a dramatic Golden Globe nomination, while Bruce Dern (Nebraska) has been nominated for a comedic Golden Globe and a SAG award. They were in 1974's The Great Gatsby with actress Karen Black, who died last August. A new version of The Great Gatsby was released in 2013 starring Leonardo DiCaprio, who theoretically could join Redford and Dern in Oscar's leading actor category for The Wolf of Wall Street.

3. Hashtag killer. Speaking of celebrities who died in 2013, for whose death are snarky Twitter users assigning blame to Carrie Underwood?

ANSWER:
Eleanor Parker, probably best known for playing the Baroness in the 1965 film The Sound of Music, died December 9, just 4 days after NBC's broadcast of The Sound of Music Live! starring Carrie Underwood. Fair or not, people made the connection.

4. History repeating. What musical act joined this list in 2013?

Shirley Bassey (1964, 1971, and 1979)
Kenny Loggins (1980 and 1988)
Survivor (1982 and 1985)
Will Smith (1997 and 2002)
??? (2010 and 2013)

ANSWER:
This was not easy. First you had to identify the list as artists or groups that provided a pop song for a movie's theme, and then returned to do a different theme song for a sequel or future installment. It's not common, though I doubt my list is definitive.

Shirley Bassey: title tracks (Goldfinger, Diamonds Are Forever, Moonraker)
Kenny Loggins: "I'm Alright" (Caddyshack), "Nobody's Fool" (Caddyshack II)
Survivor: "Eye of the Tiger" (Rocky III), "Burning Heart" (Rocky IV)
Will Smith: title track (Men in Black), "Black Suits Comin'" (Men in Black II)

Then you had to figure out who did that in 2010 and 2013: Pharrell Williams, who wrote and performed the title track for the 2010 film Despicable Me, and then "Happy" for Despicable Me 2.

5. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'? According to the Internet Movie Database, what alien character from a summer 2013 movie delivers a broadcast to Earth in several languages, including (surprisingly) Klingon?

ANSWER:
No one even tried this one, so I have to consider it unsuccessful. In a summer that brought a new Star Trek movie, it was actually General Zod in Man of Steel who used Klingon, presumably so nerds would get the message.

Oh, and the Klingon question above translates to "Where is the bathroom?"

6. The United States, featuring America. From Wikipedia: "The Billboard Hot 100 is a chart that ranks the best-performing singles of the United States. Its data, published by Billboard magazine and compiled by Nielsen SoundScan, is based collectively on each single's weekly physical and digital sales, as well as airplay."

In the year 2013, the #1 spot of the Billboard Hot 100 was almost exclusively an American domain. Barbados-born Rihanna (featured on an Eminem single) will chart at #1 next week, for the December 21 issue. So, until then, who is the only foreign-born artist to top these charts this year?

ANSWER:
It's New Zealand-born Lorde. Ken covered the same topic -- Lorde, Billboard, and geography -- in a Tuesday Trivia question I received by e-mail about 2 hours after I posted mine. Thank the, uh, maker for time stamping.

I just thought it was interesting that she broke through while Daft Punk (France) and Ylvis (Norway) didn't. Also, no Adele.

Survivor (1982 and 1985)

ANSWER:
Kid caller: I want you to play "Eye of the Tiger."
Deejay: Really? Um, okay...

They want to hear Katy Perry's "Roar" (with a chorus that starts "I've got the eye of the tiger"), but they don't know the title because they are their parents' children. Whether the deejays were being deliberately obtuse is open to question. (I listen to Kids Place Live quite often, and I don't think they started playing "Roar" until the Kidz Bop version surfaced.)

8. He was born River Bottom (seriously). In his 2013 book Last Night at the Viper Room: River Phoenix and the Hollywood He Left Behind, author Gavin Edwards states that the father of the late actor gave his family a new surname in 1979. Edwards theorizes that it was inspired not by the mythological bird but by the then-current Dark Phoenix plotline in the Uncanny X-Men comic book series. He goes on to point out a bit of trivia, if that were indeed the origin:

Who is the third?

ANSWER:
Nicolas Kim Coppola sought to make a name for himself in the film industry, away from grandfather Carmine Coppola, uncle Francis Ford Coppola, and aunt Talia Shire. He named himself after Marvel Comics character Luke Cage. The anti-nepotism plan worked so well for Nicolas Cage that he was unable to secure Matt Dillon's eventual role in his uncle's adaptation of The Outsiders.

Also, there's probably a good trivia question out there about a guy named after one Marvel Comics character (Luke Cage) who portrayed another Marvel Comics character (Ghost Rider), even though he was famously linked to a project about a DC Comics character (Superman) and named his son after the same DC Comics character (Kal-El). But you will not get that question from me.
Neel Mehta

Postby porpoise spit » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:56 am

Another coincidence to Question 2,
DiCaprio was born in 1974
porpoise spit

Return to Main Forum